Let us help you - 01782 577000
Let us help you
01782 577000

Services for you


Employment solicitors


Head of Employment Law
Email Sarah

Settlement (formerly compromise) agreements

Been offered a payout to leave?

Asked to sign a compromise agreement?

If you have been have been offered a settlement agreement (formerly known as a compromise agreement), you must take independent legal advice before signing it in order for the agreement to be valid. The agreement effectively waives your rights to make a future claim in an employment tribunal in return for a sum of money, so you need to be sure that it is your best option.

We will look at all the facts before giving you honest advice that you can rely on. We will examine the terms of the offer and help you decide whether you should sign the compromise agreement, negotiate it or consider alternative action.

You will need to be sure that you have been offered an acceptable sum for compensation, but you may have to deal with other issues with your employer, including ‘gardening leave’, references, the return of property or confidential information ,and the right to speak about the circumstances of your departure.

Our specialist solicitors will be at your side to advise and represent you through these negotiations on a ‘without prejudice’ basis, which still allows you to make a tribunal claim if you decide not to sign the agreement. If you do decide to accept a settlement agreement, we can normally agree with your employer that it pays your legal costs.

Based in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, our specialist employment solicitors offer independent legal advice and representation on all types of employment law problems. To find out more, contact us on 01782 577000.


Latest News