Accessibility for clients with a disability
We understand that if you have a disability then access to legal services can sometimes be difficult.
At Myers & Co, we like to make things as easy as possible for all our clients, and so here is our first accessibility statement:
Talk to us in confidence
- You can talk to us in confidence, as confidentiality is at the core of how we work. We are open, approachable, non-judgemental, professional, and understanding.
- We recognise not every disability is visible-that’s why we have a policy of asking all clients if they have any specific requirements for a meeting or visit. We will not make assumptions based on appearances.
Friends, family and support dogs are welcome
- We welcome friends and partners as part of your visit. Not everyone wants to meet with us on their own, and you may want a friend, partner or carer there. We are happy to organise a meeting to match your needs and requirements.
- We welcome assistance dogs and provide a water bowl. Staff have been trained not to pet service dogs.
Do you need a hearing loop?
- We have a portable hearing loop system available, which can be taken into any of the meeting rooms or to home visits.
Do you need large print, alternative format materials?
- We make sure that all communications are as accessible as possible in terms of plain English language, presentation, and format. For example, if you wish us to, we can use font of at least 14 point-size in all printed materials and letters that we send you. We can also use coloured printing or paper, if that’s easier for you.
How accessible are our offices?
- The photos of our offices that you can see below will help you to consider any access issues before visiting us.
- We work in an historic building which was not designed for modern access, but we have made adjustments to make your visit as comfortable and stress free as possible.
- The entrance to our offices is on Jenkins Street, Burslem, which is double yellow-lined and so allows parking directly opposite the entrance if you have a valid blue badge.
- There are two shallow steps from street level into our reception area. We have a ramp for easy access, which is also wide enough for a powered wheelchair.
- Please let us know if you wish to use the ramp in advance so that we can make arrangements for when you arrive.
Is there an accessible meeting room?
- There is a meeting room on the same level as the reception area, accessed through a 28”/71 cm wide doorway. We have a small wheelchair available if your chair is wider than this doorway.
Is there an accessible toilet?
- There is a toilet off reception with grab rails which is large enough to accommodate a carer if you wish.
- Access width is limited to 23”/59cm, but we have a small wheelchair which can be used for this toilet.
Is it easier if we come to you?
- If you cannot visit us, then we can visit you. Home visits are free if they are within 5 miles of our offices in ST6 4EN.
- Outside that distance, mileage is charged at 50 pence per mile.
Tell us if you need any adjustments
Our staff are trained in disability awareness and can help you set up a meeting that works for you. To make an initial contact, speak to our trained receptionists:
- by telephone on 01782 577 000; or
- email us at email@example.com.
- by telephone on 01782 525 001; or
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the latest legal updates and all our firm news in the spring 2021 edition of the Myers & Co …
If you are in your 50s or 60s and planning towards retirement and have a with-profits pension, then we recommend …