Let us help you
01782 577000

Court of Protection

Make a quick enquiry


susan hall

Sue Hall


Head of Wills and Probate

Email Sue

Stephen Myers


Wills and Probate

Email Stephen

Tammy Morgan


Wills and Probate

Email Tammy

Do you need access to the assets of loved one who has lost capacity?

Are you disputing the appointment of an attorney?

When someone close to you loses mental capacity it is a difficult and worrying time. If they have not appointed anyone with a power of attorney, you may be concerned about how decisions are going to made about their health, welfare and finances. Social services will intervene, but relatives wanting to be involved in the decision-making process may be unsure of how they can take control.

Court of Protection

The Court of Protection is a court that has power to act on behalf of anyone who has lost capacity to act for themselves. The court can make decisions about their health, welfare, property and financial assets if an application is made under the Mental Capacity Act 2005. If required, we can advise you how to apply to The Court of Protection to become a deputy.

If you are concerned about the appointment or conduct of an attorney, deputy or decision they have made you should seek legal advice immediately. The Court of Protection has the power to void appointments if necessary and we can advise you how to apply to the court and represent you in the hearing.

To avoid uncertainty and stress for your relatives in the future, speak to us about appointing a power of attorney to handle your affairs in case you suffer from a loss of mental capacity in the future. If you have been given a deteriorating prognosis, we can also help you with a living will to specify your wishes for medical treatment, organ transplant and religious beliefs to be respected.

As part of our elderly client care service we can offer legal advice through home visits, or come to see you in your residential care home, hospital or hospice if required.

Our specialist wills and probate solicitors, based in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire provide services throughout Staffordshire and Cheshire.   To find out more, contact us on 01782 577000.

Make a quick enquiry

Latest News


When should a lay trustee consult a solicitor?

‘Trusts are typically used to preserve assets for loved ones in private...


Making a best interests decision under an LPA

If you have been asked to be an attorney for someone under...


Solicitor advises on best practice when acting as an executor

“Being an executor is an important role and a serious responsibility,” says...

Read more >