Let us help you - 01782 577000
Let us help you
01782 577000


Making a formal complaint at work

4 November 2014

Most people will experience a concern about their work, working conditions or a colleague at some point in their working lives. If you have a problem at work, how should you tackle it?

Do you have a grievance?

A grievance is a problem or concern that you have about your work, working conditions, pay or relationships with colleagues.

Following the right procedure:

  • obtain copies of your employer’s grievance procedure and the ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures;
  • try to resolve your grievance informally first. If this fails raise it promptly, in writing, with your manager;
  • attend the grievance meeting with a companion;
  • your employer should write to you about the outcome and appeal; and
  • if you are still unhappy, consider issuing an employment tribunal claim.

Employment tribunal claim

Myers & Co will be able to advise you on the merits of your claim and outline the timescale, the amount of compensation you might recover and the likely costs. Your solicitor will also provide details on the new ACAS early conciliation scheme which is aimed at trying to get employees and employers to settle potential claims amicably and avoid the expense of employment tribunal proceedings.

Unable to pursue a grievance process?

If your employer has behaved in such a way that you feel that you can no longer continue working for them, the grievance procedure may not be the most appropriate form of action. Take legal advice promptly as any delay in the timing of your exit from employment may affect your right to claim for constructive dismissal.

For advice from Myers & Co Solicitors, based in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, contact our employment law specialist Sarah Everton by calling 01782 525012 or email sarah.everton@myerssolicitors.co.uk.


The contents of this article are for the purposes of general awareness only.  They do not purport to constitute legal or professional advice.  The law may have changed since this article was published.  Readers should not act on the basis of the information included and should take appropriate professional advice upon their own particular circumstances.

Sarah Everton

DDI: 01782 525012

E: sarah.everton@myerssolicitors.co.uk